Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees is the governing body of The Northwest School. The Board is composed of at least 12 and up to 24 members. In addition, a few positions on the board are ex-officio (nonvoting): two parent association co-chairs, and the Head of School.
The Board’s overall mission is to preserve the school for future generations. To attain that mission, it has five primary responsibilities:
- To develop a mission, strategic plan and policy goals
- To evaluate adherence to them; and to establish policies consistent with them
- To hire, support and annually evaluate an excellent Head of School
- To maintain the financial stability and the financial future of the school
- To show commitment and leadership in fundraising
Our Guiding Principle
Culturally Responsive Board Leadership
Culturally responsive board leadership is a governance model whereby the Board of Trustees and its individual members are:
- Becoming aware of their own assumptions and perspectives
- Actively attempting to understand the worldview of diverse populations
- Striving to understand and address institutional and individual biases and oppression of marginalized identities and the impact these have on fulfilling the board’s mission
- Developing appropriate, relevant, and sensitive strategies to create diversity and to govern in a culture of equity and inclusion
One manifestation of our commitment to this leadership model can be found in the Northwest School Board Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Plan, which you can find here.
The Northwest School Board of Trustees has a strategic plan for 2013-18. The plan focuses on four areas:
- Enhancing communication to our constituents
- Perpetuating faculty and program excellence
- Ensuring long-term financial sustainability
- Further developing the physical campus to match our outstanding program
Get the PDF
2013-18 Strategic PlanDownload
The Board meets nine times per year, and although they're not open to the public, minutes are available to Northwest School families and faculty to help keep you informed.
The board minutes are kept on My BackPack. Click here to access them (login required).
Trustee Committee Chairs
Audit: Stacey Jones
Development: Sally Ketcham
Facilities: George Edwards
Finance: Mike Anderson
Communications: Ann Bradford
Governance: Kathleen Wareham