"The House"

This is where it all began. In 1980, The Northwest School welcomed its first students through the majestic doors of the 1905 Summit School building. The House—as we lovingly call it—was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1979, and has been declared an official City of Seattle landmark.

In 2006, a major renovation and expansion included the addition of classrooms, a computer lab, library, dance studio, and photography lab.

TheHouse Entrance

Historic Entry

Over 100 years old, our main building has retained its distinctive features. Above its arched entryway hangs The Northwest School sign, carved in 1982 by artist Richard Beyer.

TheHouse GrandStairCase

Grand Staircases

The north and south ends of our main building are graced with wide staircases and oak bannisters, designed by well-known architect James Stephen in 1905.

TheHouse Classrooms

Classrooms with Character

Our classrooms brim with personality. The walls are lively with art work, maps, portraits, wise sayings, and many are named after inspiring leaders, such as Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Simón Bolivar, and Archbishop Oscar A. Romero.

TheHouse Science

Science Classrooms

Designed for flexibility, our Biology, Earth Science, Physics, and Chemistry classrooms allow students the freedom to explore and engage in open ended science projects.

TheHouse Library

Library

Our Founders Library, Reading Room, and Computer Lab give the NWS community access to a variety of information sources, including books, DVD's, audiobooks, library catalogs, and online databases, such as ProQuest, Facts on File, and ABC-CLIO.

The House Computers2

Computer Lab

Our Computer Lab is equipped with over 30 computers, a full presentation Smart Board, and two 3D printers.

The House Photo Lab

Maggie's Photo Lab

Our photo lab houses a darkroom with 16 enlarging stations, and a digital work space with a digital printing station. The lab is named after Margaret Bourke-White, one of the first female photojournalists.

The House Ceramics

Ceramics Studio

Our Ceramics studio is outfitted with nine Shimpo Whisper potter wheels, three computer controlled, 27-inch, electric kilns, and one propane fired raku kiln.

The House Dance

Dance Studio

Our dance studio is a dedicated 1500 square foot space with a 50-foot long wall lined with mirrors.

TheHouse Home

A Home Away from Home

A favorite gathering space in our school is our 120 foot long first floor hallway. Roomy and comfortable, the space invites students to study, read, connect, or grab a ukulele hanging on the wall and play a few chords.